0. What to know before you go
- IMPORTANT : Closed on Tuesdays!! & Check the Final Admission Time!!!!
- I would recommend you to spend 2 hours at least in the palace.
- Don’t miss the Royal Guard-Changing Ceremony! It is a great opportunity to experience the rare traditional scene just in front of you.
- Join the free guided tour or rent an audio guiding player for your better understanding.
- Visit the National Folk Museum of Korea, if you want to know more about Korean history and culture. The museum is right next to the palace.
1. Opening Hours
- Closed on Every Tuesdays
- Jan ~ Feb : 9:00 am ~ 5:00 pm (Final admission at 4:00 pm)
- Mar ~ May : 9:00 am ~ 6:00 pm (Final admission at 5:00 pm)
- Jun ~ Aug : 9:00 am ~ 6:30 pm (Final admission at 5:30 pm)
- Sep ~ Oct : 9:00 am ~ 6:00 pm (Final admission at 5:00 pm)
- Nov ~ Dec : 9:00 am ~ 5:00 pm (Final admission at 4:00 pm)
2. Free Guided Tour
- English : 11:00 am / 1:30 pm / 3:30 pm
- Chinese : 10:30 am / 1:00 pm / 3:00 pm
- Japanese : 10:00 am / 12:30 pm / 2:30 pm
Tour starts in front of Gyeongbokgung Information Center inside the Heungnyemun Gate(the middle gate). Tour lasts for an hour to an hour and thirty minutes.
Good morning! And have a great weekend! Such a nice weather to go out just like my trip to Seoul last month :) this one is from the biggest palace of Seoul's five palaces which is Gyeongbokgung, lovely lady in traditional clothes is my guide for the occasion. Günaydın! İyi haftasonları! Dışarı çıkıp gezmek için çok güzel bir gün, tıpkı 1 ay önceki Seoul gezimde olduğu gibi :) burası Seoul'un 5 sarayı içerisinden en büyüğü Gyeongbokgung'dan bir kare, tur rehberimin kıyafeti ise geleneksel kıyafet. #goodmorning #haveagoodweekend #picoftheday #travel #palace #landmark #Gyeongbokgung #Seoul #SouthKorea #Korea #photooftheday #love #traditional #clothes #scenery #greenery #water #instagood #gezgin #gençgezginler #anıyakala #kesfetsene #lovely #girl #lady #hat
3. Royal Guard-Changing Ceremony
Ceremonies for the opening and closing of palace gates and guard changes. The Commander of the Gate Guard(Sumunjang of Joseon) was the chief military officer who led the guards of the main gates of Joseon’s capital(old Seoul).
Changing of the Royal Guard
- Sumunjang(Royal Guard) Changing Ceremony (15 min) : 10:00 am / 1:00 pm / 3:00 pm
- Gwanghwamun Gate Guard Duty Perform (10 min) : 11:00 am / 2:00 pm / 4:00 pm
- Place : Square in front of Heungnyumun Gate at Gyeongbokgung Palace
Military Training of Gatekeeper
- Sumungun(Gatekeeper) Military Training (15 min) : 9:35 am / 12:35 pm
- Place : outside Hyeopsaengmun Gate
The ceremony may be cancelled in the event of rain.
4. Admission Fee
- Adult (age 19 ~ 64) : KRW 3,000 (= approx. USD 2.7)
- Youth (age 7 ~ 18) : KRW 1,500 (= approx. USD 1.35)
Free of Charge
- Child (age under 6) / Senior (age 65 and above)
- Get free tickets at the ticket window. ID(s) must be shown when picking up tickets.
- Free for everyone
- On Last Wednesday of Every Month
You can also buy a guide book (KRW 500 = approx. USD 0.45) or rent a portable audio guiding player (KRW 3,000 = approx. USD 2.7) at the ticket office.
Address : 161 Sajik-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, South Korea
6. How to Get There by Subway (Seoul Metro)
- Line 3 : Gyeongbokgung (Government Complex-Seoul) station, Exit 5
- Line 5 : Gwanghwamun station, Exit 9
Click here to see details with pictures.
7. See Also
- Official Travel Guide (Seoul) : http://www.visitseoul.net/en/see/seoul-palaces/gyeongbokgung.jhtml
- Tripadvisor Reviews : http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294197-d324888-Reviews-Gyeongbokgung_Palace-Seoul.html
- Instagram Photos : #gyeongbokgung #gyeongbokgungpalace #경복궁